JERALD W. KUNKEL
CONSULTING ENGINEERS, INC.
2301 EAST LAMAR BLVD., SUITE 150
ARLINGTON, TEXAS 76006-7456
METRO (817) 640-3811 FAX (817) 633-6320
Texas Registered Engineering Firm #F-3288
- Forensic investigation of existing structures.
- Structural design of single family and multi-family residential/commercial projects.
- Structural design of low-rise hotels, motels and extended stay hotels.
- Structural design of low-rise and mid-rise office buildings and warehouses.
- Structural design of industrial facilities and components.
- Construction observation and monitoring.
- Texas certified windstorm engineers and inspectors.
Jerald W. Kunkel Consulting Engineers, Inc. was founded in 1993 by Jerry Kunkel, a structural design engineer who has been practicing engineering in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area since 1970. After spending several years with a materials supply company, Mr. Kunkel spent 13 years practicing engineering with metroplex based consulting engineering firms before establishing his private practice. The Arlington based staff includes eight employees, including three structural engineers.
Since the firm’s origin, it has provided structural engineering, inspection and expert witness services for commercial, single family and multi-family projects not only in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area but also throughout the country.
JERALD W. KUNKEL, P.E., F. ASCE
Mr. Kunkel is a registered Professional Engineer in 37 states. He received his Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering and his Master's Degree in Structural Engineering from the University of Texas - Arlington. He specializes in the design and investigation of commercial and residential structures. His design experience includes bridge design, steel and concrete design of commercial buildings and concrete and wood framing design of residential structures. He has been involved in the design of slab-on-grade foundations in the expansive clay soils of north central Texas and at various locations nationwide for the past 34 years. Mr. Kunkel currently conducts seminars and lectures at trade schools on residential construction, remodeling and repair. Mr. Kunkel is also a Professor in Practice at the University of Texas at Arlington, an Adjunct Professor at Tarrant County College and a Fellow and Lifetime Member in the American Society of Civil Engineers. Mr. Kunkel is also a Texas Certified Windstorm Engineer.
University of Texas at Arlington
Bachelor of Science/Civil Engineering, 1979
University of Texas at Arlington
Master of Engineering/Structures, 1994
JERALD W. KUNKEL CONSULTING ENGINEERS, INC., Arlington, Texas
January 1993 to Present
Owner and sole proprietor of a consulting practice structural engineering firm. Projects specialize in the areas of residential design, multi-family design, low-rise commercial design, inspection, evaluation of existing structures and litigation consulting.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT ARLINGTON, Arlington, Texas
Professor in Practice
June 2003 to Present
Instructor teaching senior and graduate level structures courses.
TARRANT COUNTY COLLEGE
Adjunct Professor of Engineering
Teaching sophomore level engineering mechanics.
August 2002 to Present
OWEN AYRES AND ASSOCIATES, INC., Irving, Las Colinas, Texas
Manager, Structural Engineering
November 1984 to January 1993
Engineering manager for various civil and structural projects for regional office of large national consulting firm. Managed a staff of three to six engineers and technicians on projects such as bridges and roadways, office buildings, industrial buildings, schools, government housing, retail buildings and custom residences. Small staff permitted total hands-on engineering design as well as administrative functions.
GSL ENGINEERING, INC., Dallas, Texas
Manager, Engineering Division
January 1984 to November 1984
Chief engineer for a multi-office consulting firm specializing in design of post-tensioned reinforced concrete foundations and structures. Projects included structural design of residential, multi-family and commercial building foundations. Design of elevated post-tensioned and pre-stressed concrete slabs and beams.
CHARLES F. TERRY, INC. Consulting Engineers, Dallas, Texas
Senior Design Engineer
October 1981 to January 1984
Duties included design of structures in reinforced concrete, structural steel and timber. Projects included schools, churches, parking garages, industrial facility, commercial buildings, airports and bridges.
POST-TENSIONED SYSTEMS, INC., Grand Prairie, Texas
September 1972 to October 1981
Supervised drafting department of four to six drafters, programmer, and keypunch operator. Developed system of drafting slab-on-grade foundation plans on CAD system. Also, included were soils analysis, cost estimating, project scheduling and structural analysis and design of foundations and low and mid-rise structures.
Registered Professional Engineer –
Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming.
National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
Texas Society of Professional Engineers (TSPE)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Member Residential Foundation Oversight Committee
Elected Fellow, 2006
Post-Tensioning Institute (PTI)
Member and Sub-Committee Vice Chairman, Slab-on-Grade Committee
American Concrete Institute (ACI)
Member Committee 360, Design of Slabs on Grade
International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO)
American Plywood Association (APA The Engineered Wood Association)
The Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
Member Speaker Bureau Committee
American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM)
Member Committee C-09 Concrete and Concrete Aggregates
Member Committee D-07 Wood
Member Committee D-18 Soil and Rock
The Structural Engineers Association of Texas (SEAoT)
Chairman of Membership Committee
Texas Residential Construction Commission (TRCC)
Third Party Structural Inspector (Past)
Member Warranties and Standards Advisory Board (Past)
University of Texas at Arlington Construction Research Center
Member Advisory Board (Chairman Elect)
Chairman of Research Committee
Building Code Compliance Association
Contributing Author "Practical Foundation Engineering Handbook", McGraw - Hill, 1996
Design of Post-Tensioned Slabs on Grade; Second Edition - Post-Tensioning Institute, 1996.
Design of Post-Tensioned Slabs on Grade; Third Edition - Post-Tensioning Institute, 2004.
Contributing Author "Building Construction, Principals, Materials and Systems", Prentice Hall, 2007
Contributing Editor “Structural Steel Design: A Practice Oriented Approach (LRFD Method); Prentice Hall, 2007
Contributing Editor “Structure for Architects” Prentice Hall, 2007
Author: “Properties, Application and Fire Performance of Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation” presented to Texas State Fire Marshal’s Association, 2009
Author: Case Studies Using “Guidelines for the Evaluation and Repair of Residential Foundations” presented to the Construction Technology Department at the University of North Texas, 2010
Contributing Editor “Calculus for Architects” Prentice Hall, 2010
Author: “An Overview of Insulated Concrete Form” presented to the Building Professionals Institute, Construction Research Center, University of Texas at Arlington, 2013
Author: “Gulf Coast Windstorm Engineering and Inspection Requirements” presented to the Structural Engineers Association of Texas, 2014.
Born November 23, 1946. Married with two children.
VADIM SHTEYN, EIT
Mr. Shteyn joined the firm in 2001. He received his Masters of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from St. Petersburg State University of Transportation, St. Petersburg, Russia. His duties as Project Engineer include the design of steel and concrete commercial buildings and concrete and wood framing design of commercial, multi-family and residential structures. He is also a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
IRVING CHAVIS, JR.
Mr. Chavis joined the firm in 1997. He received his Associate of Applied Science Degree in Computer Aided Drafting and his Associate of Applied Science Degree in Mid-Management from Temple College. He specializes in Computer Aided Drafting of commercial and residential structures. He is also a Professional member of the American Design Drafting Association.
COMPANY E-MAIL LISTINGS:
Jerald Kunkel - email@example.com
Lynn Mullins - firstname.lastname@example.org
Irving Chavis - email@example.com
Vadim Shteyn - firstname.lastname@example.org
Marcello Barron – email@example.com
General Mailbox - firstname.lastname@example.org
Commercial Projects include:
- A 30,000 SF Church – Burleson, Texas
- A 17,000 SF Church - Sacramento, California
- A 19,000 SF Church - Carrollton, Texas
- A 50,000 SF warehouse - Grapevine, Texas
- Auxiliary service facility - Hurst, Texas
- Bank One - A remodel of existing facility - Denton, Texas
- Boren Elementary School - Mansfield, Texas
- Boy Scout Pavilion building - Meridian, Texas
- Brazos Bank - Additions to existing Bank facility - Alvarado, Texas
- Carmax Facility – Duarte, California
- Cavender’s Boot City – Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Cavender’s Boot City - A 20,000 SF warehouse - Amarillo, Texas
- Children's Courtyard Office Building - Arlington, Texas
- Children's Courtyard Office Building - Forney, Texas
- Children's Courtyard Office Building – Frisco, Texas
- Church at Rush Creek - Arlington, Texas
- Cleveland ISD – New Classroom Building – Cleveland, Texas
- Cook Children’s Health Care System Urgent Care Center - Mansfield, Texas
- Commercial Test Facility - Garland, Texas
- Cynthia Cockrell Elementary School - Prosper, Texas
- Daniel Steel Industries Fabrication Plant - Mesquite, Texas
- Doskocil Warehouse and Distribution Center - A 466,000 SF warehouse - Arlington, Texas
- Dr. Rick Reedy High School - Frisco, Texas
- E.Z.’s Restaurant - A renovation to an existing facility - Fort Worth, Texas
- Fairfield Suites - Arlington - A 3 story 45,000 SF Hotel - Arlington, Texas
- Fairfield Suites - Plano - A 3 story 56,000 SF Hotel - Plano, Texas
- Fire Investigation – The Lodge Apts. – Arlington, Texas
- Golden Corral - 8 restaurant facilities - Texas, Tennessee, Colorado, and Oklahoma
- Granite Construction - A 40,000 S.F. Office warehouse facility - Grapevine, Texas
- Great Dane - Warehouse Facility - Dallas, Texas
- Greenville Municipal Airport - A 15,000 SF terminal building - Greenville, Texas
- Hampton Inn and Suites - A 15,000 SF Hotel - Arlington, Texas
- Hampton Inn and Suites, A 4 Story Hotel - Del Rio, Texas
- Harwood Animal Clinic - A 4,500 SF building - Hurst, Texas
- Heritage Family Food Specialty-Additions to a manufacturing facility - Grand Prairie, Texas
- Homewood Suites - A 3-story 46,000 SF Hotel - Waco, Texas
- Industries Associates - 2 warehouse buildings - McKinney, Texas
- James R. Newman Elementary School - Frisco, Texas
- Kilgore Middle School – A One Story School Building - Kilgore, Texas
- La Quinta Hotel – A 4-story,126 Room Hotel - Lakeway, Texas
- Mainstay Hotel – A 13,000 SF Hotel - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Mansfield Elementary Scholl – A One Story School Building - Mansfield, Texas
- Marriott Residence Inn - A 5 story 50,000 SF hotel - Houston, Texas
- Marriott Residence Inn – A 3 Story 35,000 Hotel - Bozeman, Montana
- Marriott Residence Inn - A 3 story 50,000 SF Hotel - Arlington, Texas
- Marriott Town Suites - A 3 story 50,000 SF Hotel - Tucson, Arizona
- Marriott Townplace/Fairfield Suites - Tempe - A 5-story 56,000 SF Hotel - Tempe, Arizona
- Mobil Convenience Store - A 10,000 SF Facility - Plano, Texas
- Normangee ISD – New 33,680 S.F. Educational/Gymnasium Facility - Normangee, Texas
- Northwest National Bank -A structural investigation of an existing facility.
- Over 110 Commercial and Residential Swimming Pools
- Penske Leasing Company - A 12,000 SF Warehouse - Lawton, Oklahoma
- Pflugerville Elementary School #20, Pflugerville, Texas
- Ponder Elementary School, Mansfield, Texas
- Production Studio - A 2 Story 30,000 SF studio building - Dallas, Texas
- Quick Lube - A 2,000 SF Facility in Dallas, Texas
- RA-LOCK Company - An 8,000 SF warehouse - Midlothian, Texas
- Renovations to Settles Hotel – Big Spring, Texas
- Safe Harbor Office Building – Arlington, Texas
- Self-Storage Facility – Houston, Texas
- Self-Storage Facility – Tyler, Texas
- Service King - A 32,000 SF warehouse - Dallas, Texas
- Sign Structure – Olympia, Washington
- Student Housing Complex, Texas Tech University – Lubbock, Texas
- Suburban Hotel – A 14,000 SF Hotel - Colorado Springs - Colorado
- Tempe Residence Inn - A 24,000 SF Hotel - Tempe, Arizona
- Unifirst Corporation - Additions to manufacturing facility - Fort Worth, Texas
- Unity Church - Sanctuary addition to Church - Dallas, Texas
- Viridian Elementary School - Arlington, Texas
- Warehouse Live Oak - A 16,800 SF warehouse - Dallas, Texas
- Wendy's Restaurant - A 3,000 SF restaurant - Elsinore, California
- Whitney Middle School - Whitney, Texas
- Wingate Inn - A 4 story 25,000 SF Hotel - Mobile, Alabama
Residential projects include:
- Over 275 litigation cases involving residential and commercial projects
- Multi-family project - Peabody, Massachusetts
- A 5,000 SF residence - Grand Cayman, Bahamas
- A 5,000 S.F. Residence - Southlake, Texas
- A 7,000 SF residence - Virginia
- Design and inspection services for over 15,000 foundation designs for single family homes - Dallas/ Ft. Worth area
- Over 80 residences - the Park Cities areas of Dallas, Texas
- 3 Student Housing projects - San Marcos, Texas
- An 17,000 SF residence - Plano, Texas
- Design and inspection services for over 2,000 single family residences for a large Houston based home builder
- Inspection services for a student housing project - Arlington, Texas
- Multi-family project - Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Multi-family projects - Phoenix, Arizona
- 185 Single Family Residences - San Antonio, Texas
- An 7,500 SF residence - Plano, Texas
- Multi-family project - Marlborough, Massachusetts
- A 18,000 SF residence – Dallas, Texas
- Multi-family project - Hillsboro, Texas
- Design and inspection services for over 100 single family residences for a large Ft. Worth based home builder
- Multi-family project - State College, Pennsylvania
- Multi-family projects - Grapevine, Texas
- Over 30 single family residences - the Las Colinas area of Irving, Texas
- An 12,000 SF residence - Colleyville, Texas
- Design and inspection services for over 100 single family residences for a large Arlington based home builder
- Multi-family projects - Austin, Texas
- Student housing project - Charlotte, North Carolina
- Multi-family project - Naperville, Illinois
- Multi-family project - Conroe, Texas
- Multi-family project - North Fayette, Pennsylvania
- Student Housing Apartments - Commerce, Texas
- Multi-family projects - Indianapolis, Indiana
- Student Housing Apartments - Lubbock, Texas
- Multi-family project - Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Multi-family projects - Houston, Texas
- Multi-family project - Killeen, Texas
- Multi-family projects - Round Rock, Texas
- Multi-family project - McKinney, Texas
- Student Housing Apartments - Auburn, Alabama
- Multi-family project - Terrell, Texas
- Multi-family project - Mansfield, Massachusetts
- 6,750 SF single family residence - Weston, Connecticut
- Multi-family projects - Frisco, Texas
- Multi-family project - The Colony, Texas
- Multi-family project - Overland Park, Kansas
- Multi-family project - Columbus, Ohio
- 7,500 SF single residence - Orange County, California
- Multi-family projects - Ft. Worth, Texas
- Multi-family project - Tucson, Arizona
- Multi-family projects - Fairfax County, Virginia
- Multi-family project - Atlanta, Georgia
- Student Housing Apartments - Tucson, Arizona
- A 5,000 single family residence - Crystal Cove, California
- Multi-family project - Auburn, Georgia
- Multi-family project - Tallahassee, Florida
- Student Housing Complex - Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Multi-family project - Gainesville, Florida
- Multi-family project - Baltimore, Maryland
- Multi-family project - Denver, Colorado
- Multi-family project - Mattson, Illinois
- 8 Multi-family projects - San Antonio, Texas
- A Multi-family project with parking garage - Clifton, New Jersey
- Multi-family project - Amarillo, Texas
- Multi-family project - Altus, Oklahoma
- Multi-family project - Groton, Connecticut
- Multi-family project - Charlotte, North Carolina
- Student Housing Apartments - Greenville, North Carolina
- Assisted Living Facility - Dallas, Texas
- 3 Student Housing projects - San Marcos, Texas
- Multi-family projects - Cypress, Texas
- Multi-family project - Manvel, Texas
- Multi-family project - Katy, Texas
- Multi-family project - Tomball, Texas
- Multi-family project - Live Oak, Texas
- Assisted Living Facility - League City, Texas
LITIGATION SERVICES FEE SCHEDULE:
- Field Inspections $250.00/HR.
- Report Generation $250.00/HR.
- Phone Conference Timed $250.00/HR.
- Expert to expert meetings $250.00/HR.
- Court/mediation/arbitration (2 hour minimum) $250.00/HR. (From arrival to leaving)
- Deposition (1 hour minimum) $250.00/HR.
- Deposition Evaluation $250.00/HR.
- Travel $ 125.00/HR.
- Document (Subpoena) Research $ 250.00/HR.
- Clerical $75.00/HR
- Reproduction/Documents Cost
- Cancellation within 24 hours, 4 hour minimum